Gym isn’t the only place we have to be to stay healthy and fit. There is so much we can do outside the weight room to gain optimal health. We don’t have to give up on our health just because our surroundings or circumstances have changed.
I have come across people who have completely given up training because of the changes life is bringing to their attention, such as, change of career, moving to new city or country, having a kid, getting married, low in cash etc.
Our body doesn’t need gym to be active, all it needs is a determined mind with at the least 15-20 minutes aside to jump up the physical energy. One has to be resourceful to create an environment for a healthy living.
I have had various times my life when I wasn’t able to go to gym, either due to affordability or physical access due to my location. But I have always found ways to train my body and this still happens if I am travelling for work or leisure.
There are at least six exercises that I have used and continue to rely upon outside the weight room. Something you can do too anywhere anytime.
- Push Ups – you can do this practically on the ground you are standing right now. The best workout that activates the muscles in the entire body even though the squeeze and flex part is happening in the upper part.
- Dips – if you have a chair or corner of the bed around you, this is another workout that you don’t need any fancy equipment for.
- Pull Ups – the most impactful workout that can be done with variety of grip holds, wide grip, and close grip in both supinated as well as pronated hand positions. You can use a bar in the park, get one from a sports shop to fit on your door or find a tree bark to hang on to.
- Squats – great compound movement that can be done anywhere you want. If you want to add weight then just fill your backpack with some books to wear it on your back or front and you have got yourself a nice leg workout done.
- Lunges – same principles are squats except more variety. You can do forward lunge, backward lunge or walking lunge. Again you can make it harder with a backpack on your shoulders
- Upper and Lower Abs – if we are focussing on our upper and lower body then we shouldn’t forget our core – our abs. Lay on your ground get some crunches as well as lying leg raises to cover both upper and lower abdominal region.
With these handful of exercises, one can easily stay in good shape throughout the year without having to go to the gym. I certainly do enjoy the environment of the gym I go to but that doesn’t mean I only rely on that factor for my fitness. Give yourself permission to be flexible with the approach of training and physical fitness, you will become more resourceful than you have ever been.