The road trip is fun (I love them!) and who doesn’t enjoy them. The best time to be with your friends, plug into cool tunes (maybe sing along) and enjoy the cool breeze. One thing that doesn’t get enough attention is nutrition. Generally, the car is full of unhealthy snacking – chips, cookies, candy bars, jellies and then, of course, the popular stopping at a gas station or drive through for more food.
How to Eat Healthy on a Road Trip & Make Healthy Choices
1) Start your day with healthy breakfast that gives your energy for long periods – eat whole foods instead of grabbing breakfast burger or pancakes from a fast food joint
2) Stop at grocery stores instead of fast food joints – fruits, bagged carrots, nuts, hummus, packed salads etc.
3) Eat small amounts during the day keeps you full burn calories quickly whereas when eating too many calories in one go makes you sluggish and sleepy.
4) Eat more protein – keeps you lean and strong and enhances concentration, stabilizes blood sugar levels.
5) Drink more water – helps you flush out toxins and reduces junk food cravings. Most people don’t realize but a lot of times they find themselves hungry is nothing but less water intake.
6) Pack healthy snacks for your trip so you don’t have to stop by to pick unhealthy stuff
7) Stretch your legs and do some jumping jacks or small run or high knee jumps to move the blood and the burn some calories. This also lifts your energy levels for the next few hours of the trip
Eating healthy on a road trip is not a hard thing to do, it’s only a matter of choice. Make smart choices and you will thank yourself.