It’s Sunday evening as I write this blog, my mind has started to prepare for a new week that I step into tomorrow. Unlike a lot of you who love to recite the lyrics “I hate Mondays”, I actually treat it differently. I look forward to it as a new day like any other day without branding it and treat it like a blessing and thought process of “I get to train” instead of “I have to train”.
Not only do I start prepping my mind visually, emotionally and mentally from creating an awesome productive week full of wins and learnings, I do a similar kind of prep work for my workouts/trainings on a daily basis.
Working out in or outside the gym is fun. It looks, feels and seems very cool and it is for sure if you love that too. But it is equally important, in fact, more than the actual training is the pre-workout preparation.
I am a big advocate of having my body, mind and spirit in check before I even step myself into the weight room. So I have narrowed down some important steps and checks that I would like to share with all you my friends, family and people who will be my friends in near future about preparing yourself before your training session.
Here are 5 things to do before workout as a pre-workout preparation:
1) Pre-Workout Meal – I do want to start by pointing out the importance of feeding yourself before your training. Those of you who believe that training empty stomach is going to help you lose those extra kilos or get rid of the flab are on a way of harming yourselves. It is possible to under the principles of intermittent fasting but that is a whole different topic in itself that we will cover separately.
For now, understand that you need a good decent nutritious meal in you at least 45-60 minutes before your training session. Now, you do not have to eat too heavy or get too full but it should be enough to fuel your training session. The meal should contain easy a good balance of protein, carbohydrates and fats, such as-
– Quinoa with grilled fish
– Low fat cottage cheese/paneer with some basmati rice
– Meal Replacement Protein shake
– Egg whites with some oats / quinoa
All of these very light on the stomach to digest fast, good sources to fuel your workout and will keep your energy levels intact. Anything heavy such as chicken or red meat is best to keep it for after workout as post workout meals or later part of the day when your body is screaming for nutrition
2) Proper Hydration – I keep emphasising the importance of hydration. Make sure you are well hydrated before your workout because you do not want to get into a state of light head zombie. Lack of water in your body can put a lot of stress on your digestive system and overall nervous system.
Secondly, when you are not hydrated enough you are calling out for cramps in your body due to holding up of lactic acid in the body. You want to stay in good hydrated state before your workout to make the best out of the session.
Remember you are going in the gym to break down those muscle tissues to grow
and change your body into a better shape. So better be prepared for the battle field.
3) Pack Your Essentials – having things in place before you enter the training room determines whether you are going to come out as a winner or a loser from that battlefield. So some of the essentials are-
– Training plan to know exactly what you are doing
– Log book – a book to log your progress as you go through the workout
– Water/ Intra workout shake
– Post workout shake
– Towels for proper hygiene
You can add things like your spare tops, shoes, headphones etc. in your pack if you want to be extra prepared. Remember – if you fail to prepare then be prepared to fail.
4) Visualise Your Workout – this is something a lot of athletes worldwide apply into their training as well as stepping into competition stage or platform or field. A night or day before start visualising yourself in the training room. Think about what you are wearing, the music you are listening to, the weight in your hand how it feels, the temperature of the room you are in, the people around, smell etc. Think about every rep or a set you are doing.
Preparing your mind ahead of the game is actually going to help you because once you are psychologically connected then you are going through the motions in the training room or ground. Become a visionary
5) Pump up Music- music is that one universal language that connects straight with our soul. A music that pumps you up in a good way is what you should listen while on your way to the training session. Research has shown that if you listen to the music of the era around your childhood, it brings out some good memories and makes you happy with a smile on your face. That is the best physical and mental state to be in when you are training because it boosts your energy levels to a peak state.
When you are well prepared in your mind for what is to come, that’s when you go in to give your best. Pre-workout preparation isn’t just limited to good clothing, music, shoes, and wrist bands and so on. It is primarily about getting into the right mental, emotional and then physical state.
Training is all about having a good environment internally for external results. What we give is what we receive.
All the best for your next training session
Be Your Best Self Transformation